- The definition of an adjunct is someone who is holding a part time or temporary position at a school.
An example of an adjunct is a professor who comes in to teach one class during a semester.
- Adjunct is defined as something additional that is not necessary, but that is extra or additional.
An example of something adjunct would be the second basket added to a bicycle.
- a thing added to something else, but secondary or not essential to it
- a person connected with another as a helper or subordinate associate
- an adjunct teacher, professor, etc.
- Gram. a word or phrase that qualifies or modifies another word or other words
Origin of adjunctfrom Classical Latin adjunctus, past participle of adjungere, adjoin
- Something attached to another in a dependent or subordinate position. See Synonyms at attachment.
- A person associated with another in a subordinate or auxiliary capacity.
- Grammar A clause or phrase added to a sentence that, while not essential to the sentence's structure, amplifies its meaning, such as for several hours in We waited for several hours.
- Logic A nonessential attribute of a thing.
- Added or connected in a subordinate or auxiliary capacity: an adjunct clause.
- Attached to a faculty or staff in a temporary or auxiliary capacity: an adjunct professor of history.
Origin of adjunctFrom Latin adiūnctus past participle of adiungere to join to ; see adjoin .
- An appendage; something attached to something else in a subordinate capacity.
- A person associated with another, usually in a subordinate position; a colleague.
- (grammar) A dispensable phrase in a clause or sentence that amplifies its meaning, such as "for a while" in "I typed for a while".
- (rhetoric) Symploce.
- (dated, metaphysics) A quality or property of the body or mind, whether natural or acquired, such as colour in the body or judgement in the mind.
- (music) A key or scale closely related to another as principal; a relative or attendant key.
- (syntax, X-bar theory) A constituent which is both the daughter and the sister of an X-bar.
(comparative more adjunct, superlative most adjunct)
adjunct - Computer Definition
From the Latin adjunctus, meaning adjoin. Something added to something else, but secondary or not essential to it.