- the act or practice of gambling
- playing games that imitate possible business situations or war maneuvers, as preparation or training
- the act or practice of playing computer or video games
- Gambling, especially casino gambling.
- The playing of games, especially video games.
- Present participle of game.
(countable and uncountable, plural gamings)
- The playing of a game or games, including but not limited to video games and games of chance.
- Careful, strategic use of rules to achieve one's purposes, as one would use the rules of a game.
gaming - Computer Definition
(1) Casino-style gambling. The original meaning of the term, gaming may also refer to gambling over the Internet.
(2) Playing electronic games. Games can be played by an individual with a specialized game machine (video game console) or on a computer or a mobile device, the latter gaining immense popularity since the advent of the smartphone. Many games are designed for multiple players, who interact and compete over the Internet. Traditional card games are also included; for example, four people, each in different locations around the world, can play bridge together. Although only a small percentage of American adults identify themselves as true gamers, nearly half of them do play video games according to a 2015 poll from the Pew Research Center. Odyssey Was the First Considered to be the inventor of the first video game, Ralph Baer's idea in the early 1950s of adding games to the TV sets he was building at Loral was rejected. Fifteen years later, he designed several prototypes on his own. Magnavox licensed his technology and introduced it as the Odyssey game machine in 1972, which used plastic overlays on the TV screen for a dozen games including ping-pong. Later, Nolan Bushnell had a similar version created for arcades, and "Pong" quickly became the premier product of his company, which he had renamed Atari. See video game console, gamer, Atari, advergame and pwn. World Video Game Hall of Fame By the end of 2016, the following video games were inducted into the Hall of Fame: Doom Grand Theft Auto III The Legend of Zelda The Oregon Trail Pac-Man The Sims Sonic the Hedgehog Space Invaders Super Mario Bros. Tetris World of Warcraft