- The definition of a yammer is a loud, sustained and repetitive noise.
The loud and repetitive sounds of conversation two tables over that keeps going on and on is an example of yammer.
- To yammer is defined as to talk on and on, to complain or to make loud repetitive noises.
When you go on and on about your past vacation and no one is really listening or caring, this is an example of when you yammer.
- to whine, whimper, or complain
- to shout, yell, clamor, etc.
- to talk loudly or continually
Origin of yammerMiddle English yameren ; from Old English geomerian, to lament, groan ; from geomor, sad, mournful, wretched: influenced, influence by Middle Dutch and amp; Middle Low German jammeren, of echoic origin, originally
verbyam·mered, yam·mer·ing, yam·mers
- To talk volubly and often loudly.
- To complain peevishly; whine: “Congress grumbled and yammered about putting up the money for the new plane” (Thomas J. Fleming).
Origin of yammerMiddle English yameren, to lament, alteration (probably influenced by Middle Dutch jammeren, to lament) of earlier Middle English yomeren, from Old English g&emacron;omrian, g&emacron;omerian, from g&emacron;omer, sad, sorrowful; akin to Old High German jamar, perhaps ultimately of imitative origin.
(third-person singular simple present yammers, present participle yammering, simple past and past participle yammered)
- The act or noise of yammering.
- A loud noise.
- One who yammers.
Probably from Middle Dutch jammeren cognate and reinforced by Middle English yeoumeren (“to mourn, complain"), from Old English geomrian (“to lament"), from Ä¡eÅmor (“sorrowful") possibly imitative in origin and akin to German Jammer.
yammer - Computer Definition
A private social networking service for businesses. Launched in late 2008, Yammer lets companies create their own social network site for employees as well as customers. Private groups within the company can also be organized. Access is available via a desktop application, the Web, e-mail, instant and text messaging, as well as smartphones. In 2012, Yammer was acquired by Microsoft. For more information, visit www.yammer.com. See Twitter.